Hello friends how are you all? Today we are going to talk about How To Organize Your Cv During The Career Change Process? Before any major career changes, weigh the pros and cons well. Perhaps the urge to change activities is due to fatigue, burnout, or problems at work.
Sometimes, to get rid of the thoughts of quitting everything forever, you just need to rest, get a small bonus, or have a heart-to-heart talk with a colleague who constantly creates problems for you. If you clearly understand that you want or are forced to flip your career through 180°, do not be afraid.
How To Organize Your Cv During The Career Change Process
Where To Get A New Experience For Making A Career Change
Those who require a career change, are in need of a career change cv/resume writing services to provide the best cv from a company of professionals where a team of writers will create a cv and you can stay in touch with the writer providing his services from the company during the whole process of writing. Its writers will help you with your resume fast and easy.
If you have at least 10-year experience as an accountant, it will not help you very much when job hunting as a graphic designer, and vice versa. When you change your profession, you will have to gain experience anew and start from scratch. Yes, and a resume without specialized experience, too, cannot be organized – it should contain only information relevant to the vacancy.
Five Ways To Gain Work Experience When Career Change:
- Networking. If you have work experience, you have already made acquaintances and professional contacts so use them! Chat with people you know from different companies and propose your candidacy. A presentation of you by an employee of a company is a more effective incentive for a manager to talk to you than a faceless response to a vacancy.
- Courses. Choose courses that have a lot of practical tasks for people to become professionals – they will be the first experience and lines in the portfolio. After completing a good course, you can safely take on simple projects and respond to starting positions.
- Internships. Usually, companies want to see students or recent graduates for internships, but some offers are available to everyone. During the internship, you will be able to gain the necessary experience, learn more about the field and try your hand. Internships are sometimes paid, and your responsibility there will be lower than in a regular job.
- Startup. The selection of employees in a startup is not as harsh as in large corporations. Startups are ready to take inexperienced enthusiasts into their team and grow as a whole team. Try to find out about interesting young projects and write them a good motivation letter. Most likely, you should not count on official registration, but you will get the necessary experience.
- Freelance. For instance, you are looking for a job in a cool design bureau, but you have no experience. Try to offer your services on freelance exchanges. This is how you add to your portfolio and make money. Get ready for a lot of competition and constant search for orders.
How To Write An Up-to-date Resume
When you radically change your field of activity, writing a resume is a little more difficult than usual. It is important not to overdo it with unnecessary information. We still do not recommend creating a resume if you have no experience at all, even completed courses or internships. Make sure you get practical knowledge first, then write your cv. What else you need to keep in mind when writing a resume:
Highlight Overlapping Skills
Choose carefully which skills from your past career to include into your cv. The former writer does not need to write about writing long reads in the developer’s resume, but it is worth mentioning the skill of working in a team. If you are afraid that your CV will look completely empty, then leave a couple of irrelevant skills, but keep them a little close to the new field of work.
Describe Your Competencies In Detail
If you have little experience in a new area, then focus on your skills. There is no need to write shortly about responsibility and speaking skills, describe the competencies in more detail. For example, not “advanced public speaking skills”, but “experience in making presentation services to top management”, “skills in negotiating with decision makers” or “experience of speaking at international events of more than 1000 people”.
Show Your Motivation
A person who radically changes the field of activity is a mystery to the employer. It can be an adventurer, an infantile person, an inept employee, or just a person who suddenly realized his calling. Your task is to prove that you belong to the latter type of candidate.
Your cv along with a cover letter need to reflect your strong desire to work in a new field. Pay special attention to the “About Me” section, think over the text for it well.
Compose A Cover Letter
Another chance to show interest in the work is to compose a cover letter. It is strictly necessary for specialists without experience and for those who radically change the field of work.
Basic rules for writing a cover letter:
- do not duplicate information from the resume;
- describe the benefits for the company, not for yourself;
- summarize your achievements and quantitative results;
- show awareness of the company’s activities;
- write why you decided to make a drastic career change.
What Employers Think Of Candidates Who Are Fundamentally Changing The Field Of Work
In the case of changing a career, it is worth writing not a biographical resume listing all jobs, but a functional one, focused only on the necessary experience, cases and projects. And only those that may be of interest to the new employer. Since HR has little time to study responses, the first three lines of responsibilities should be described as clearly as possible.
When writing a resume, you should proceed from the actual abilities of the present day. If a person applies for work in government agencies or organizations with a clearly defined set of criteria for admission, then a change in direction of activity is unlikely to qualify for a high position. It is better to mention in the resume all achievements that relate specifically to the desired profile and not try to disguise irrelevant experience behind selling phrases. This will cause negative feedback from the employer. ⠀
In the resume, you need to describe non-core skills and competencies, but always from the angle of benefit for the future project. Common skills unite many professions, it just needs to be noted. After all, the bulk of our effectiveness lies in the field of soft skills. And if professionally the applicant does not yet have significant merits, then it is important to focus on them.
An internship is a great way to get started in a new profession. But when planning such a step, you should understand that it would be best to look for an internship in large companies. You need large teams that have already set up processes for introducing newcomers to the profession, there are training programs and tasks that can be entrusted to people with no experience. In small companies, internships usually do not happen, since each specialist has a lot of complex functionality and there is no time for training a newcomer, who is not even sure that he will stay to work in the company.
In addition, you will have to start your career from the very beginning, which will most likely entail a decrease in financial income. Internships are often unpaid. Companies that are willing to hire people with no experience and teach them usually pay very low salaries. Therefore, having decided on major professional changes in your life, you should be financially secure for at least some time in order to study and work a lot, without thinking about the level of income.